Scuba Diving Courses & Certification
We believe that investing in your diving career leads to a safer, more fun diving experience. Our instructors have decades of experience teaching dive courses worldwide, from beginner to technical diving. We are still as passionate about diving as the first day we got underwater.
We will design your courses to fit around you, to make sure you get the best vacation experience.
Discover Scuba Diving
Take your first breaths underwater with our experienced dive team. We have top of the range dive kits and are here to make sure you are safe and come away with the best understanding of our underwater world.
Discover SCUBA Diving – Have you always wanted to try scuba diving before committing to getting fully certified? At Shaggy’s Diving, you can try an introductory dive in 40 feet of crystal blue Caribbean water, seeing tons of sea life and stunning coral in a course called Discover SCUBA Diving.
- Three hours in length covering an introduction of the equipment, basic dive theory and safety, a few practice skills in the pool, and a unforgettable one tank reef dive
- Participants must be at least 10 years old and comfortable in the the water
- The course and the one tank dive take place at Coconut Bay Condos in West Bay
- Complete a medical questionnaire prior to taking the class
Open Water Diver
The Open Water Scuba Diver Course will cover all of the necessary skills and knowledge for open water scuba diving, including:
- The aquatic environment: vision, light, sound, heat loss, tides, currents, waves, surge, etc.
- Physics and physiology: buoyancy, pressure, air spaces, breathing compressed air, mixed gases, etc.
- Dive equipment selection, assembly, use and maintenance
- Dive planning
- Basic scuba skills including mask and regulator skills, swimming underwater, buoyancy control, basic rescue techniques, and emergency procedures
- Minimum age 18, 15 with parental consent
- Complete a medical questionnaire
RATES AND DETAILS
The Open Water course is split into three sections.
- Online theory (approximately five hours) – Safe diving practices and history
- Confined (pool) sessions – Learn your safety skills and get familiar with your kit
- Four Open Water dives – Put your skills into practice by planning and executing a dive in the ocean
We highly recommend that you complete your online theory (purchased through us) and confined sessions at a local dive center before you arrive, so that you only have your Open Water dives to do, therefore getting maximum diving time on our beautiful reef. All equipment and tanks included.
- Open Water Online Theory Course – $130
- Open Water Dives Only (Theory and Confined sessions already completed) – $500
- Confined Pool Sessions and Open Water Dives (theory already complete), 2-3 days – $550
- Full Open Water (Online Theory + Confined + Open Water dives), 3-4 days – $600
Advanced Open Water
Great divers have great buoyancy. Take your skills to the next level! The Advanced course is comprised of five dives over two days. These dives include the mandatory Deep and Navigation dives.
- Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
- Open Water Scuba Diver or equivalent, Junior Open Water Scuba Diver or equivalent*
*Note: Junior divers (10-15) can only take specialties approved for their age; Deep Diving: Maximum depth for divers 10-15 is 21 meters / 70 feet; Wreck: Limited penetration minimum age 15.
DIVE OPTIONS for Advanced/Adventure diver (Choose 3)
- Wreck: Learning about external wreck diving practices. This is the first of three dives to obtain the Wreck Specialty course. (Note there is an extra government fee of $10 to dive the EX USS Kittiwake.)
- Night Diver: The underwater world is very different at night. This dive familiarizes you with safe night dive practices, extra equipment, hand signals and the spectacular underwater life after dark.
- Enriched Air Diver: Also referred to as “Nitrox”, this dive gives you a chance to try diving with a higher oxygen level than regular air, which enables longer bottom times. This dive also is the first of two qualifying dives to obtain and dive with up to 40% oxygen.
- Peak Performance Buoyancy: This highly recommended dive runs through a series of fun exercises to perfect your buoyancy.
- Dive Propulsion Vehicle (DPV): Learn how to safely operate an underwater scooter then enjoy the freedom of covering multiple dive sites in one dive. This dive is pure fun!
- Fish Identification: Learn about the fish you’re seeing while you dive.
- Computer: Learn to use an underwater dive computer.
- Digital Photography: Learn to capture your underwater memories. Peak Performance Buoyancy is strongly recommended in combination with this dive.
- Underwater Naturalist: Understand how the underwater ecosystem functions together.
- Boat Diver: This dive familiarizes divers with boats and common dive practices while on board.
- Multilevel Diver: Learn how to conduct a safe multi-level dive profile to extend your bottom times.
Advanced Open Water Course (including online theory), 2 days – $500
One of the best ways to increase your confidence and skills as a diver is to take the Rescue Diver course. This program will take you through theory around rescue and physiology, a series of exercises to build your skill set then will bring the skills together in a scenario practice.
- Minimum age 18 (15 with parental consent)
- Provide proof of current CPR
- Provide proof of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver certification, or equivalent, or Open Water diver certification and 40 logged open water dives
Rescue Diver Course, 3 days – $650